MSHA has a minimum set of requirements that a training plan must incorporate to be considered an “approved plan.” Here you will be guided through each element of an accepted MSHA training plan, to help prepare you for writing a plan specific to your underground mine site.
The regulations regarding the training of miners, specifically those involved in coal mining, all underground metal and nonmetal mines, and other surface metal and nonmetal mines that are not included in Part 46, are found in 30 CFR Part 48. The requirements set forth in these regulations are mandatory. There are two subparts of the MSHA Part 48 regulations. Subpart A deals with the mandatory requirements for training programs for miners working underground. Subpart B deals with the training of miners at surface mines and the surface area of underground mines.
The training program contains many elements that must be fully explained, including the following:
Allotted training time
To ensure that the training has been thoroughly taught and comprehended, a set of evaluation procedures must also be developed.
Who Must Take this Course?
This course is designed for operators, supervisors, safety personnel, and all other individuals who work at underground mines, and are involved in creating, implementing and completing a training plan.
Our MSHA Part 48 Training Plan training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self-check questions, and a final exam.
Upon successful completion each student will receive Hard copy of completion certificate and can print a wallet card
Continuing education credits?
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) for completing this course.
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to the MSHA Part 48
- Fatality and Injury Statistics
- Key Terms
- Key Terms for Subpart A
- Key Terms for Subpart B
- Training Programs
- Approved Plans
- MSHA Mine ID Number
- Designated Person Responsible for Training
- MSHA-Approved Instructors
- To Qualify as an Approved Instructor
- Revoking the Approved Status of an Instructor
- Cooperative Training Program
- Teaching Methods
- Course Materials
- Training Time Allotted
- New Task Training of Miners
- Record Keeping
- Evaluation and Effectiveness
- Training of New Miners – Subpart A
- Training of New Miners – Subpart B
- Newly Employed Miner
- Experienced Miner Training – Subpart A
- Experienced Miner Training – Subpart B
- Training Miners in a New Task
- Annual Refresher Training – Subpart A
- Annual Refresher Training – Subpart B
- Hazard Awareness Training
- Compensation for Training
- Construction Work
- Maintenance or Repair Work
- The Training Plan Process
- Miner Requests for Approval
- Miners’ Representative Review
- Training Plan Submission
- Training Plan Disapproval
- Training Plan Approval
- Operator Responsibilities
- Independent Contractor Training
- Additional Resources