This course presents an overview of hydrogen as a fuel source, hydrogen fuel cells, the safe handling and storage of hydrogen fuel cells, hazards involved in working with hydrogen fuel cells, employee safety precautions, employer responsibilities, and regulations and standards for hydrogen fuel cells in the workplace.
The Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is the agency responsible for the safety and health of workers involved in the hydrogen fuel cell industry. Employers must follow OSHA’s General Industry standards (29 CFR 1910.103). Hydrogen fuel cell industry employers must also follow federal and state regulations that apply to different elements of their operations. For example, employers must comply with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) regulations that govern the hydrogen industry.
This course is designed to help you understand both the potential and the danger involved with hydrogen fuel cells. The course will explore hydrogen’s use as a fuel, the methods of hydrogen storage, the risks associated with hydrogen in the workplace and public, and applicable regulations related to the use of hydrogen.
Who Must Take this Course?
If not handled properly, hydrogen fuel cells can cause explosions, fires, freeze burns, and electrical dangers. Employees who work in the hydrogen fuel cell industry require special protections against these potential hazards. By becoming aware of these hazards, you can help to prevent injuries and protect workers and community members from the dangers of hydrogen fuel cells.
Our OSHA Hydrogen Fuel Cell Safety training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self-check questions, and a final exam.
Upon successful completion each student will receive Hard copy of completion certificate and can print a wallet card
Continuing education credits?
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) for completing this course.
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- Key Terms
- What Is a Hydrogen Fuel Cell?
- How Do Hydrogen Fuel Cells Work?
- What Are the Uses for Hydrogen Fuel Cells?
- Hydrogen Fuel Cells and the Environment
- Applicable Regulations
- Hydrogen Storage and How It Works
- Hydrogen Storage Challenges
- Hazards of Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- Fire and Explosion Hazards
- Freeze Burn Hazards
- Electrical Hazards
- Employee Safety Precautions in Hydrogen Storage
- Safety Considerations Associated with Handling Liquid Hydrogen
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Fire-Fighting Techniques
- Employer Responsibility in the Hydrogen Industry
- Prevention of Flash Fires and Related Injuries
- Safe Handling of Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- Emergency Procedures
- Additional Resources