What is Mock Drill?
Mock drills are arranged by the organizations/public sector/factories/government /luxury suits etc. usually fire brigades are indulged in mock drills in order to give guidance to common public/ place where the mock drill takes place. This gives participants relevant knowledge on fire safety equipment, ways to handle them on emergency crisis. Being the citizen of a country it is our responsibility to take care of our self, our neighbours and valuable assets.
People should watch carefully and understand what are the step by step procedure that are been taught during mock drill: Mock drill consists of how to rescue themselves and others around them, ways to control emergency situation, do’s, don’ts, providing first aid to victims, reaching hospital etc. after the completion of mock drill once will get clear cut idea and solution on ways to react during emergency situation.
Objectives of mock drill
The main objective of mock drill is to review emergency preparedness plan as well as evaluate standard operation protocols in any places mainly on larger organizations, schools, places where hazardous materials are used (chemicals, acids, LPG ) etc. which helps concerned people to act in accordance with the emergency situation to safeguard life and property.
Example: During an outbreak of fire, the following steps should be followed
- Try to get out from the burning building
- Assist fire victims
- To put down fire, utilize sand/wet cloth/clay
Why mock drill is important?
The ultimate goal of mock drill is to test and improve entire capability of an organization/ community by means of strengthening the relevant policies, plans and protocols. Preparing and practicing on particular roles and responsibilities will give save number of lives, assets and surroundings. Organization that create and constantly maintain feasible and practical exercises mostly prepared to face such events.
Mock drill exercises developed should be flexible and planned in accordance with the needs of concerned organization. Mock drills conducted are not solutions for crisis but an efficient approach towards implementing important priorities that would lead to innovative solutions.
Necessity of mock drill:
- To make people aware of hazards around them
- Ways to handle hazardous substances
- Inculcate preparedness among common public
- Know the value of resources belongs to various departments
- Examine SOPs and plans of industries
- Enhance resource capabilities
Who can take up mock drill training?
Professionals indulged in emergency response team, fire and safety sector, key member in any organization, and people with wish to get into health and safety sector can attend mock drills.
Fire mock drill
Steps to be considered for a successful fire drill at workplace:
Step1: Create the plan
The first and foremost step is to create appropriate policies and procedure. Usually institutions that conduct fire mock drill forms a group to create the plan to conduct mock drill
Before mock drill proper message /alert should be given to employee/public regarding the fire evacuation techniques , policies, decided assembly location after evacuation, emergency route, escape procedure with map etc. should be provided
Step2: Educate public/employees
After the plan and policies get ready for mock drill, do explain it with employees, also ensure that each and every employee receive all relevant information regarding mock drill. The planned emergency documents should be given both in hard copy and soft copy and if they have any doubts it should be cleared before the mock drill begins. Ensure that the escape route, fire safety equipment, alarm pull are marked properly.
Step: 3 Motivate workers to indulge in mock drill
The importance of mock drill should be taught to employees as the lives matter anything else. Let them know and understand the importance saving lives and this can be done through by gaining the knowledge of mock fire drill. Every individual in an organization should take this seriously and attend mock drill with interest.
Step4: Mock drills on regular interval of time
Practice…. Practice… practice – it’s the only thing that can make you stronger in any field. Conducting mock drill on regular interval of time helps your employees and organization remains safe and have knowledge on fire safety. Keeping this as routine practice makes.
Things to keep in mind during fire mock drill
- Creating a situation which resembles if fire breakdown and make sure your employee will know emergency fire action plan
- Frequent mock drill should be done as the procedure will get changes from one building to another building as the model and construction varies likewise the level of risk too get varies
- Escape routes should be obstacle free (no things should be occupied over there ) and people in particular building should know escape route
Importance of fire drill
- Mock drill helps employee too react quickly and safely as soon as during emergency crisis. This plays a vital role in health and safety and it is strongly recommended for all organizations.
- Conducting mock drill in any place helps people to get emergency simulation and helps people not to get panic in case if actual fire breaks down
- Helps know people where and how to use fire safety equipment
Fire Safety course at Green World Group
Fire safety online course gives an overview of fire safety management system and things to be considered during an outbreak of fire. After the completion of this course the candidate will have in depth knowledge and skills on principles of extinguishing fires at work, Essentials of Fire Risk Assessment, role of Fire Warden etc.