Workplace Hazards & Solutions for Confined Space Entry
A Confine space is a limited or restricted area for entry or exit, which is not designed for continuous occupancy. It is a vast enclosed space that includes tanks, vessels, utility holes, tunnels, pipelines, hoppers and storage bins. Working in a confined space is not an easy task, Organizations must allow trained or equipped workers to enter and work in confined space.
Major hazard at Confined Space:
A confined space contains a harmful atmosphere, flammable gases, dangerous vapors, or stored substances that might collapse and submerge a person while working, the most common risk that may occur in a confined place is
1. Reduced Oxygen Levels: Oxygen can be removed by naturally occurring reaction. For example: The reaction between soil and oxygen, groundwater and limestone forms carbon dioxide and displaces the oxygen.
2. Gases, Fumes, and Vapours: The poisonous gases and vapors create a toxic atmosphere inside the confined space due to the lack of ventilation.
3. Flooding/Drowning Risks: Even if the Confined space is small, there is high chance of liquids can quickly flood the confined space due to rain, drainage, or sewer work.
4. Dust: While performing the actions like drilling or grinding, the dust can build naturally in a confined space.
5. Temperature: The enclosed space usually raises the heat and increases worker’s body temperature, which results in serious health issues like heatstroke and exhaustion.
6. Fire and Explosion: The flammable gas, dust, and tools that can spark used within the confined space cause fire.
7. Access difficulties during emergencies: Working in a confined space is dangerous because they are difficult to access, and escaping from troubles is not easy.
Solutions to Avoid risk at Confined Space:
1. Provide training to workers on device safety procedures while working inside a confined space.
2. Test the air in the confined space and assume whether it is safe to work.
3. Maintain a proper communication system between the workers and Safety supervisors.
4. Fix Additional lighting system within the confined space.
5. Reduce the usage of sparking tools in confined spaces.
6. Make sure that the cleaning compounds used in the confined space are correctly assessed.
7. Ensure that the workers inside a confined space have suitable protection and an entry permit.
8. Regularly rehearse emergency and rescue procedures with workers.
Who can Undertake this training?
This course is well-suited for employees working in a confined workspace, Supervisors, Contract employees, and all workers with emergency rescue responsibilities can value this specialized training.
Benefits of Confined Space Training:
- This training demonstrates workers to gain knowledge on all aspects of safe working in confined spaces, right from entry to exit, and know about the rescue methods.
- It helps to undertake proper training on equipment handling and wherever it is necessary to use inside the confined space area.
- It provides certain safety procedures to follow in a potentially dangerous situation, which may help the workers to handle emergencies at workplace.
- It helps to detect hazardous substances in the working area and ensures a safe work system when working in confined spaces.
Need Expert suggestions or solutions?
Safety is essential in all workplaces, especially for workers exposed to high risks while working in confined spaces. Green World Offers advanced safety training courses for your employees with experienced tutors who has an extensive subject knowledge. Our Experts helps your employees to analyze key risk areas relevant to hazards that may encounter in their workplace